How To Quicky Cook Egusi Soup
Egusi soup is one of the most popular soups in Nigeria,
it is eaten by almost every Nigerian.
Egusi is made from the seeds of the melon fruit.There are several methods of preparing egusi soup.
--Apart from cooking egusi soup with the regular and most common vegetable the 'ugwu', egusi soup can also be prepared with spinach leaf and water leaf.
See: 20 Health Tips For Nigerians
Also egusi soup can be made to have lumps,can be cooked with tomatoes,also egusi soup without palm oil or even egusi soup without vegetable.
The soup is so popular that people now make different variations with different ingredients.
See Also: Balanced Food Time Table For Nigerians
This article however is on how to make egusi soup with with vegetable 'ugwu' or 'bitter leaf'
How To Cook Egusi Soup
First of all,you will need to get the following ingredients:
- 200 g of ground Egusi seed
- Meat - Beef,Goat meat,Chicken
- 50 ml of palm oil
- 50 g of cooked stock fish
- 3 Tablespoon of ground dried crayfish
- Ugwu or bitter leaves
- Seasoning - Knorr,Maggi Etc
- 2 small onions
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of ground chilli powder
How To Prepare Egusi Soup
- Cut and season your meat - beef,chicken or goat meat.
- Cut your meat into small pieces and season with knorr cube or maggi.
- Add half a cup of water and boil the meat for 10 minutes until tender,then set it aside.
- Mix the ground egusi in half a cup of water then set aside.
- Blend your tomatoes,the onion & the chilli pepper,then set aside.
- Heat the palm oil for some minutes,then add the Egusi mixture.
- Stir and allow it to fry for a moment.
- Then add the ground crayfish, another maggi or knorr cube with stock fish.
- Then add 2 cups of water and allow to cook for about five minutes.
- Go ahead and add the boiled meat and stir.
- Simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add the washed and sliced Ugwu or bitter leaves.
- Simmer for about five minutes to allow the vegetables to soften.
Egusi soup can be served with Fufu or Garri,Rice,Eba, Pounded Yam, Amala,Wheat, Akpu Or Semovita