National Open University of Nigeria: History & Quick Facts
The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
is an Open and Distance Learning Institution available to everyone,what this means is that literally everyone and anyone can bag a certificate from (NOUN).
--If you are about to enroll into the National Open University of Nigeria here are some of the quick facts that you should be familiar with.
National Open University of Nigeria Quick Facts
- The National Open University of Nigeria is a Federal Open and Distance Learning (ODL) institution.
- The institution is the first of its kind in the West African sub-region.
- Noun is Nigeria's largest tertiary institution in terms of student numbers.
- The tertiary institution is popularly referred to as 'NOUN'.
- The Motto of the institution is Work and Learn.
- It is a public institution that was established in 1983.
- As of 2011 Noun had up to 150,000 thousand students.
- It's official website is www.nou.edu.ng
- The school was once suspended by the federal government but was later reinstated and resuscitated in 2001 by the former President of Nigeria, Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo.
- Noun's permanent headquarters is located in Jabi, Abuja.
- Noun currently has over 75 Study Centers throughout the country and offers over 50 programmes and 750 courses.
- NOUN does not provide lectures to students in normal classrooms structure except in some certain study centres,Law students however receive regular lectures.
- All the courses being offered by Noun are accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- Noun accepts different range of students from all walks of life.
- Noun's fundamental open admissions policy makes undergraduate university study accessible to all.
- Most postgraduate courses require evidence of previous study or equivalent life experience.
- Majority of Noun's students are matured while the remaining are younger students.
- Noun has Immunity to ASUU's incessant strikes. NOUN students have always and will continue to be immune to any form of Asuu strike.
- Before students that graduated from Noun that were less than 30 years were not allowed to take part in the one year NYSC program,however that has changed as students of NOUN and law graduates can now enroll and be part of the NYSC program
- NOUN is the only tertiary institution that has study centers in some of Nigeria’s prisons and has graduated over 7,000 inmates,including two First-Class graduate prisoners.
Check Out: How To Get Admission Into Nigerian University Without Jamb
- The best overall prison inmate to bag a first class in prison with Noun is a 43 year old woman named Anthonia Okoye.
- NOUNiLearn was created as an effort to take education to the doorstep of Nigerians.
- Nouns administers the Computer-Based-Test (CBT) form of examination to its students in their first and second years,law students are however exempted from this as they only write the standard Pen-On-Paper examinations (POP).
- NOUN also operates an e-library at the branch situated at Victoria Island, Lagos. Internet facilities, books, journals, projects, thesis of past students and other educational materials are made to be accessible to the students.
- The schools fm radio station broadcasts at the frequency 105.9 NOUN FM.
- Noun university also has a course ware called the Ecourseware which provides educational materials in form of books,for students in a PDF format for free.
- NOUN also has a list of Nigerian celebrities in Nollywood that are affiliated to Noun.Movie stars like Ini Edo,Desmond Elliot,Chioma Chukwuka-Akpotha, Francis Duru, Doris Simeon and Sani Danja were announced as ambassadors,while some were offered scholarships from NOUN.
National Open University of Nigeria Faculties
1. School of Science and Technology
2. School of Health Sciences
See Also: Best Aviation Schools In Nigeria
3. School of Agricultural Sciences
4. School of Law
5. School of Education
6. School of Management Sciences
7. Schools of Arts and Social Sciences.
8. Centre for Life-Long Learning and Workplace Training