The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE): 25 Quick Facts You Should Know
Formerly known as the Lagos Stock Exchange,the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) was established in 1960.
This post contains 25 Quick Facts about the The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) that you should know.
--The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE): 25 Quick Facts
1. The Nigerian Stock Exchange has listed 176 companies with a total market capitalization of about N8.5 trillion.
2. The Nigerian Stock Exchange is the third largest stock exchange in Africa in terms of market capitalization.
3. The main purpose of the NSE is for listing and trading of securities.
4. The NSE is headquartered in Lagos State, Nigeria.
5. The Website of the NSE is www.nse.com.ng
6. NSE operations began officially on August 25, 1961 with 19 securities listed for trading.
7. NSE operations were once conducted inside the CBN building with the exchange having just four firms as market dealers,these firms include: Inlaks, John Holt, C.T. Bowring and ICON.
8. The NSE was formally known as the Nigerian Stock Exchange in December 1977.
9. The NSE has different branches in the country.
10. The NSE is regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
11. The Nigeriian Stock Exchange has an automated trading System.
12. The NSE publishes data on listed companies performances on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually basis.
13. Since 1999,the Nigerian Stock Exchange has been operating an Automated Trading System (ATS)
14. The (ATS) allows dealers to trade through a network of computers connected to a server.
15. The NSE's Automated Trading System (ATS) enables dealing members to trade online from NSE's offices in Lagos and from all the thirteen NSE branches across the country.
--16. Trading on The NSE starts at 9.30 a.m. every business day and closes at 2.30 p.m.
17. Foreign brokers and investors of any nationality are free to invest in the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
18. Nigerian companies are also allowed to list on foreign markets.
19.The Nigerian Stock Exchange is a member of The following associations:
- International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)
- African Stock Exchanges Association (ASEA)
- United Nation's Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE)
20. NSE's vision is to be Africa’s foremost securities exchange driven by regulation, efficiency, liquidity and innovation.
21. NSE's mission is to provide investors and businesses a reliable, efficient and an adaptable exchange hub in Africa, to save and to access capital.
Related: Nigerian Stock Exchange - Daily Updates,Exchange List,Fact Book
22. NSE's major values summarized are Transparency, Teamwork, Integrity and Professionalism.
23. NSE's main function is to offer listing and trading services, license services, market data solutions and ancillary technology Etc
24. The NSE is administered by a Board of Directors and headed by a Chairman,it also has a Director General.
25. Some companies listed under the NSE include:
- 7-Up Bottling Comp. Plc.
- A.G. Leventis Nigeria Plc.
- Access Bank Plc.
- Beco Petroleum Product Plc
- Berger Paints Plc
- Cadbury Nigeria Plc.
- Consolidated Hallmark Insurance Plc
- Continental Reinsurance Plc
- Dangote Cement Plc
- Dangote Flour Mills Plc
- Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc
- Fcmb Group Plc.
- B.O.C. Gases Plc.
- Fidelity Bank Plc
- Mobil Oil Nig Plc.
- Morison Industries Plc.
- Mrs Oil Nigeria Plc.
- Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.
- Guinness NigPlc
- Honeywell Flour Mill Plc
- Nigerian Wire And Cable Plc
- Npf Microfinance Bank Plc
- Skye Bank Plc
- Skye Shelter Fund Plc
- Total Nigeria Plc.
- Tourist Company Of Nigeria Plc.
- Uba Capital Plc
- Unic Insurance Plc.
- Unilever Nigeria Plc.
- Wema Bank Plc.
- Zenith International Bank Plc
- Union Bank Nig.Plc.
- Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc
- Union Dicon Salt Plc.
- Union Homes Real Estate Investment Trust (Reit)
- Nigerian Brew.Plc.
- Nigerian Enamelware Plc.
- Lafarge Africa Plc.
- Nigerian Ropes Plc
- Union Diagnostic & Clinical Services Plc
- United Bank For Africa Plc
- Union Homes Savings And Loans Plc.
- Unity Bank Plc
- Aso Savings And Loans Plc