University Of Calabar (UNICAL): 21 Cool Facts You Never Knew
The University Of Calabar is one of the federal Government owned Universities In Nigeria.
The tertiary institution has come a long way since it's inception.
In this post we are going to take a look at some facts about the University of Calabar that you probably didn't know until Now.
University Of Calabar (UNICAL) : 21 Cool Facts You Never Knew
- 1. The University of Calabar is popularly known and called UNICAL.
- 2. The University is located in Calabar, Cross River State, south-south Nigeria.
- 3. Unical is one of Nigeria's second generation federal universities.
- 4. Unical was the campus of the University of Nigeria (UNN) until 1975 when it became known as the University of Calabar.
- 5. Unical occupies a 17-hectare site on the eastern side of the town, between the Great Qua River and the Calabar River.
- 6. In 1975, the Federal Military Government of Nigeria announced that as part of the National Development Plan the creation of seven new Universities. Unical was eventually part of the created seven new universities.
- 7. Unical's first academic session in 1973 began with 154 students and a small number of academic, staff.
- 8. In October 1976 the number of enrolment of students has reached 896 students. 406 out of 896 students were carried over from the University of Nigeria. Also teaching and administrative staff number had risen up to 156.
- 9. Unical's motto is “Knowledge for Service”.
- 10. The male students are known as Malabites, while the female students are Malabresses.
- 11. The male hostel is called Malabo.(The name was borrowed as a result of challenges faced by the students at a time which coincided with the suffering faced by Nigerian deportees in Malabo Equatorial Guinea)
- 12. In 1978/79 academic year, the College of Medical Sciences was added, Also in 1979/80 academic year,the Faculty of Law was established.
- Related: Imo State University: 15 Secret Facts You Should Know
- 13. Unical has one Graduate School and ten Faculties, plus three three Institutes.
- 14. Unical's faculties include: The Faculties of Agriculture, Arts, Education, Law, Management Sciences, Sciences, Social Sciences, Allied Medical Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Institute of Education, Institute of Oceanography and Institute of Policy and Administrative Studies.
- 15. Popular and notable Alumni of Unical includes Kate Henshaw-Nuttal,Godswill Obot Akpabio,Grace Folashade Bent,Ini Edo,Stephanie Okereke,Uche Jombo,Alex Ekubo,Iyanya Etc
- 16. Unical was one of the first Nigerian Universities to initiate the online students registration portal.
- 17. Unical's online transcript request and processing is still being perfected.
- 18. The University of Calabar enrolls a very large number of students,an estimated number of about 40,000-44,999 students are enrolled yearly.
- 19. Unical offers degree awarding courses and programs such as pre-bachelor degrees (diplomas), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
- 20. Unical was established more than 42 years making it one of the oldest universities in Nigeria.
- 21. The university is located in Eta Agbo Road,inside the busy town of Calabar.