How To Quickly Make A Nigerian Meat Pie At Home
In this post we will quickly take a look at how you can easily and quickly make a Nigerian meat pie at home.
Every Nigerian know that meat pies are always filled with seasoned minced meat, potato and chopped carrot filling that gives it it's classic taste.
How To Quickly Make A Nigerian Meat Pie
Meat pie is the favorite of a lot of Nigerians,the Nigerian meat pie can come in different shapes and sizes.
Nigerian Meat Pie Ingredients
For the Nigerian Meat Pie dough
- 500g (1.1 lbs) Margarine
- 1kg (8 cups) plain flour (All Purpose Flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- ½ cup / 125 ml / 4.2 oz cold water
For the Nigerian Meat Pie filling
- 2 medium Irish potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 500g (1.1 lbs) minced meat
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Knorr cubes
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup / 250 ml / 8.4 oz cold water
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium egg
How To Quickly Prepare The Nigerian Meat Pie
- (a) Get your irish potatoes and peel it,then go ahead and scrape the carrots, wash and cut these two into tiny cubes or pieces.
- (b) Wash and slice your onions into tiny pieces.
- (c) Pour an adequate amount of vegetable oil in your pot and heat,then add the diced onions and stir for a bit, add the minced meat and stir vigorously till the minced meat turns pale.
- (d) Add 1 cup of water, any seasoning cube and thyme,after which you should cover the pot and allow to simmer, once the contents of the pot starts simmering, add the diced carrots and potatoes and cook till everything appears done.
- (e) Go ahead and dissolve 2 tablespoons of plain flour in half cup of cold water and add to the meat pie filling. This will help the meat pie filling to avoid breaking during baking,it also assist in making the meat pie moist.
- (g) Add salt to taste,then stir the contents and turn off the heat.
- (h) Now the meat pie filling aside,the next step is to prepare the dough for the meat pie.
Preparing The Nigerian Meat Pie dough
- (a) Put the 1 kg of flour in a bowl.
- (b) Go ahead and add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and a few pinches of salt.
- (c) Scoop the margarine in small bits into the bowl of flour,use your finger tips to rub the margarine into the flour till the mix becomes like crumbs.
- (d) Add cold water in bits while at the same time folding the mix till a stiff ball of dough is formed.
- (e) Make sure you knead the dough very well, put back in the bowl and leave to rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- (f) Cut, Fill, Fold and Close,then go ahead to set your oven to 170°C (335°F) and leave to preheat while you continue with the meat pie process.
- (g) Rub the margarine on the insides of the oven tray and set aside. This is to make sure that the undersides of the meat pies do not burn or stick to the tray during baking.
- (h) Break the egg, beat it and set aside,go ahead to knead the dough some more, roll it out to achieve a thickness of about 5mm.
- (i) Make round cuts on the rolled out dough,use an use a cutter to do this.
- (j) Remove the excess dough, leaving behind the round cuts.
- (k) Go ahead and Scoop some meat pie filling into the center of the round cuts you made,make sure that the quantity should not be much in other to be able to close the dough.
- (l) Rub the egg on the inside edge of the cut meatpie dough. This tip will make sure that your meat pie is perfectly sealed and does not open up while it is being baked.
- (m) Fold one part of the dough to meet the other end and use a fork to press the 2 edges together to close tightly.
- (n) Put the dough inside the oven tray and repeat the previous step till all the cut out dough has finished.
- (o) Another tip is to rub the egg on the meat pies. This gives the meat pie a golden brown look when done.
- (p) Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Make sure that you bake at medium heat.
- (q) You can keep on checking your oven till the meat pie starts browning,you an open the oven to check this.