The Nigerian Dwarf Goats Facts : All You Need To Know
In this post we shall quickly list some of the list facts about the Nigerian Dwarf Goats.
After reading this article you should be able to know some basic facts such as the Nigerian dwarf goat's lifespan,milk quality,weight,size,breeding age and also how to make money from breeding the Nigerian dwarf goat in Nigeria.
The Nigerian Dwarf Goats Facts (Quick Facts)
- 1. The Nigerian Dwarf goat is a miniature dairy goat breed that originated from West Africa.
- 2. The goat has a very high economic value and is ver popular among goat rearers in the world.
- 3. This specie of goat is also used as pet and family milkers due to their easy maintenance and small stature.
- 4. The Nigerian Dwarf goat can serve a dual purpose which is being used as pet and for personal benefit and monetary profit.
- 5. The Nigerian Dwarf goat is also used by some dairies to produce cheese due to their high butterfat.
- See Also: How To Start Snail Farming In Nigeria
- 6. Raising the Nigerian Dwarf Goat is quite easier compared to the other relatives.
- 7. The Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association states that the Nigerian dwarf goat breed should ideally be 17–19 inches (43–48 cm) in height, with a maximum allowed height of 21 inches (53 cm),bucks should be 19–21 inches (48–53 cm), with a maximum allowed height of 23 inches (58 cm).
- 8. The Nigerian dwarf goat is registered by the American Dairy Goat Association, the American Goat Society, and the Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association.
- 9. The Nigerian dwarf is also among the most expensive specie of goats,a full grown goat costs between N85,000 - N100,000 while the Bucks and milking Doe cost between N40,000 - N60,000, the Wethers cost N25,000 – N40,000.
- 10. Rearing of the Nigerian Dwarf goat is very profitable to farmers.
- 11. The Nigerian Dwarf Goat produce a large amount of milk when compared to it's dwarf size,the Nigerian dwarf goat produce from 1 to 8 pounds of milk per day.
- 12. Apart from cheese production,the milk from the Nigerian Dwarf goat is also used in the production of soap and Yoghurt,other by products include hides and skin.
- 13. The original goats were transported from Africa on ships as food for captured carnivores kept in zoos,the remaining survivors were then maintained at those zoos.
- 14. The Nigerian Dwarf Goat comes in many colors such as white, black, gold, red, cream and patterns with or without white spots.
- 15. Some Nigerian Dwarf goats have blue eyes,this is a dominant trait in goats.
- 16. The Nigerian Dwarf breed all year round,the quality of production i.e milk,meat and hides and skin depends upon genetics, how many times the doe has given birth,quality and type of feed, and also the general management and maintenance.
- 17.The Nigerian Dwarf produce more butterfat during lactation,which is used to manufacture cheese, soap,cream and yoghurt.
- See Also: How To Start Commercial Goat Farming In Nigeria
- 18. The Nigerian Dwarf goats are gentle and intelligent that is why they are popular as pets,the goat also has an offensive odor.
- 19. Those that want to keep the Nigerian Dwarf goat as pet should consider bottle feeding the kids,this makes them more bonded with humans.