Olusegun Obasanjo (OBJ) Current Net Worth News & Latest Update
Olusegun Obasanjo popularly known as OBJ is one of the seasoned veteran politician in Nigeria.
Not only is he just a Nigerian politician,he is also one of the Nigerian presidents having rules as a military and democratic head of state.
This article contains the current net worth of Olusegun Obasanjo and also some of the quick facts about him that you
probably never knew.
Olusegun Obasanjo (OBJ) Current Net Worth
Q: Olusegun Obasanjo (OBJ) Quick Facts?
- 1. Olusegun Obasanjo was born Mathew Okikiola Aremu Obasanjo on the 5th of May 1937 and was the 12th President of Nigeria.
- 2. OBJ had a very successful career in the military,he rose to the rank of a General,apart from being the former president of Nigeria,he also served as Chairperson of the African Union.
- 3. He was born in Abeokuta,Ogun State,he attended Saint David Ebenezer School at Ibogun, for his primary school education,afterwards he attended Baptist Boys High School Abeokuta, for his secondary school education,afterwards he joined the Nigerian Army.
- 4. OBJ resigned from the Army in 1979,after handing over the power to the newly elected democratic president of Shehu Shagari.
- He was later appointed as the Federal commissioner for works and housing following the oil boom,he was also the chief of staff supreme headquarters.
- 5. Obasanjo was also among those that planned the relocation of the federal capital from Lagos to Abuja,the FCT was chosen because it was not identified with any particular ethnic group.
- 6. Oil,Agriculture and Education received a boost under OBJ,the number of universities increased,and also the universal primary school education was introduced nationwide,however his government was criticized for his attack on free speech,one popular incident was the one that involved the legendary Nigerian musician and political activist Fela Kuti which lead to a protest.
- 7. He has also been praised as the first Nigerian millitary head of state to successfully hand over to a democratically elected civilian president after he handed over to Shehu Shagari.
- 8. Obasanjo became a christian in jail after he was imprisoned by the dictator General Sani Abacha because he condemned the human rights abuses of the regime,he was released after Abacha's death.
- 9. Obasanjo ran and won the 1999 presidential elections hence becoming the president of Nigeria,he also ran for a second term and won under the flagship of the People's Democratic Party ( PDP) thus becoming the first elected and civilian head of state in Nigeria after 16 years of military rule.
- 10. During his regime,Nigeria's GDP growth rate doubled to 6 percent, Nigeria's foreign reserves rose from $2 billion in 1999 to $43 billion on leaving office in 2007,before then Obasanjo plotted to thwart the constitution with his "Third Term Agenda " so that he can serve another term as the president,this bill was rejected by the National Assembly,however he later denied ever taking part in the "Third Term Agenda".
- 11. OBJ was married four times,he also has 20 children,one of his sons is named Dare Obasanjo,he is a Principal Program Manager for Microsoft and also a daughter named Iyabo Obasanjo who is a politician.
--He has also won a lot of millitary awards and chieftaincy titles such as Balogun of Owu Etc,he is also a Ph.D holder.
Q: Olusegun Obasanjo’s Current Net Worth?
Obasanjo is the owner of the popular Ota farm,the farm is one of the largest farms in Nigeria,where you can buy poultry, livestock and other fresh products,apart from this,Obasanjo also has other investments.
According to Hotvibes Media,OBJ’s estimated net worth,gathered from various sources is rumored to be around $1 - $ 2 Billion US Dollars.
What do you think about his estimated net worth? Leave a comment below.