The Nigerian Correction Service Salary Structure And Ranks
The Nigerian Correction Service formerly called the
Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) is a government
agency that is responsible for all prison activities in Nigeria.
--The NPS is headquartered in Abuja,and it is under the supervision of the Ministry of Interior.
Back in 2014,the Nigerian Prison Service had 240 prisons scattered across the country,some of these prisons include Yola Prison,Abakiliki Prison,Kuje Medium Prison,Ikoyi Prison,Kirikiri Maximum & Medium Security Prison,Gashua Maximum Prison,Kirikiri Women's Prison which is the only all-women's prison in Nigeria etc.
A total estimated number of 56,785 inmates live in Nigerian Prison,only about 18,000 of them are sentenced,the rest are awaiting trials.
In this post we are quickly going to reveal how much The Nigerian Prisons Service officers earn and also check out all the ranks in the NPS.
The Nigerian Prisons Service Salary Structure
Q: NPS Salary Structure & Allowances?
NPS workers are regarded as paramilitary employees,and hence are paid accordance to
--CONPASS which is a federal government initiative for payment of para-military workers in Nigeria,also the CONMESS which is a consolidated salary structure for medical officers and CONHESS for health workers is also applicable to NPS workers.
Read Also: EFCC Salary Structure
The exact salary figure earned by different ranks in the NPS is not usually revealed to the public,however a visit to any Prison in Nigeria will make you understand that NPS workers have other methods of generating revenue from visitors and prison inmates.
--NPS workers (O level) earn between ₦49,999 - ₦69,999 while a degree holding NPS worker earn between ₦110,000 - ₦180,000,high ranking officers earn almost ₦400,000 per month.
Q: Rank Structure Of The Nigerian Prisons Service?
The highest rank in the Nigerian Prisons Service is the rank of the Controller-General,followed by the Deputy Comptroller Generals. Other ranks in the NPS include:-
- The Superintendent Of Prison (SP)
- The Deputy Superintendent (DSP)
- The Assistant Superintendent I (ASP.I)
- The Assistant Superintendent II (ASP.II)
- The Senior Inspector (SIP)
- Inspector Of Prison (IP)
- Assistant Inspector Of Prison (AIP)
- Prison Assistant I (PAI)
- Prison Assistant II (PAII)
- Prison Assistant III (PAIII)
Read Also: Civil Defence Salary Structure & Ranks
- The information on this page is subject to change,figures stated here are only estimates and not 100% accurate.
- The current minimum wage in Nigeria,applicable from 2011 is ₦18,000 per month,exclusive of all deductions,however there is a plan to increase the minimum wage paid to civil servants in Nigeria.
- Nigerian Prisons Service officers are usually entitled to several allowances,gratuity and pension from the Federal Government of Nigeria.